Phew! I’m exhausted. I’ve spent the majority of the last 2 days building 25 float frames for my canvases. That’s 100 lengths of raw Australian oak hand-cut, sanded, glued and v-nailed. No wonder I had a few aching muscles by the end of it all.
My new Proman mitre saw has been well and truly put to the test – it surpassed my expectations and made the accuracy of the 45 degree cuts made the whole job a lot less fiddly.
The only real problem I ran into was with one of my largest canvases being off-square, so much so that it wouldn’t drop into the frame I’d just built for it. This meant taking out each of the approximately 110 staples from the back of the stretcher, adjusting the bars and restretching the painted canvas. Needless to say, I wasn’t impressed with being faced with that task at the end of a full day of framing… but thank god I’d just recently purchased a staple remover!
So by my reckoning, I’ve now got 14 of the pieces completely finished, signed, varnished and framed up ready to go to the gallery in 3 weeks time. There are about 8 more that are at the stage of needing minor touch-ups before signing, and another three that I’m trying to finish painting before the show. All-in-all, I’ll have at least 25 pieces for the exhibition. Maybe I can squeeze in a couple more IF I can power through everything else I need to get done and end up with a bit of spare time (HA!) before the opening.
Invites are going out this week, both physical copies and via email, and I’ll need to finish organizing a bunch of other behind-the-scenes tasks while I’m at it.